MIDI & MAXI DRESSES
Simple midi dresses and maxi dresses can extend your wardrobe with several different looks. Capture boho vibes in a print maxi dress or floaty elegance with a pretty pair of mules. Achieve a laid-back casual look when you pair a midi dress with flats or a semi-formal style when paired with stunning accessories and heels.
WHAT IS A MAXI DRESS?
Think maximum length, maximum versatility. A maxi dress is the longest in the trio of mini dress, midi dress and maxi dress. Suitable for almost every occasion when styled just right, a maxi dress can transition seamlessly from beach to bar and day to night.
Longer than a midi dress, maxi dresses can finish anywhere between just above the ankle to floor length.
ARE MAXI DRESSES FORMAL OR CASUAL?
While the print, fabric and style might define dresses as casual or formal, maxi dresses can sometimes be both. Check out how easily a black maxi dress transitions from a casual maxi dress to a formal maxi dress with your choice of shoes and accessories.
A printed maxi dress with heels and a bold blazer or coat could be your go-to for your next event. Meanwhile, a vibrant, cotton shirred maxi dress with long sleeves offers an effortless vibe and can be easily styled with boots and a wide-brimmed hat for a laid-back yet chic look.
WHAT IS A MIDI DRESS?
The midi dress is never too short, never too long. It's the perfect length that falls between your knees and ankles and will take you from brunch with besties to date nights with your plus one. Neither mini nor maxi, the midi dress delivers the best of both worlds.
At Sportsgirl, our midi dresses dance to many tunes. A midi dress with short sleeves is a wardrobe classic, while midi party dresses are the last to go home. A floral midi dress or a linen midi dress is your ultra-cool solution to day dresses. A ribbed midi dress steals the show, while midi dresses with puff sleeves are a must-have for daytime.
HOW DO YOU STYLE MIDI DRESSES AND MAXI DRESSES?
Accessorise your midi dresses and maxi dresses to create a style that spans laid-back beachy or boho to garden wedding or restaurant ready:
- Lift the mood by adding a splash of colour to white or black maxi dresses and midi dresses with new season bags and matching slides or sandals. Find a feel-good vibe and dressy style by elevating your dress with a pair of heels.
- Choose natural woven bags, woven hats and sneakers for a touch of chic when styling a short sleeve maxi dress or a shirt dress.
- Keep your jewellery simple and let a floral maxi dress or ribbed midi dress steal the show when you pair it with sunglasses, sandals and your own personal style.
- For a wedding guest look, try a white midi dress or wrap midi dress and accessorise it with plated jewellery.
- A sleeveless, strapless or V-neckline midi dress offers a subtly cheeky option that can be dressed up or down.
- When casual is the call, a black midi dress or a sundress pairs perfectly with knitwear or t-shirt layers for a relaxed feel.
WHO SHOULD WEAR MAXI DRESSES AND MIDI DRESSES?
Midi and maxi dresses are on high rotation when women need light and effortless fashion with a feminine edge. Maxi dresses and midi dresses deliver the following benefits to your wardrobe:
- Haven't had time to tan your legs? Long dresses in linen or Australian cotton fabrics are your best friend! It's a nice break from your pleated or slip dresses.
- Whether you're tall or short, maxi dresses and midi dresses go to great lengths to suit everybody. This is a great alternative to the usual A-line or cowl-neck styles or bodycon dresses you might be used to.
- For sun protection at outdoor venues, you can't go past a long and floaty maxi dress - look good, feel great! It's an excellent way to switch it up from your typical knit dress or halter neck outfit.
- A print or plain midi dress has a sleek style that can easily be elevated or dialled back for easy comfort - a fresh alternative to your backless fave!
Explore our newest women’s dresses, available in sizes XXXS to XXL. Add faves to your wishlist, or treat your bestie with our gift cards. Zip through checkout and enjoy free delivery across Australia on orders over $80. Want a fitting first? Use our Store Locator. For any queries, check our FAQs.
WHAT SHOES SHOULD YOU WEAR WITH A MAXI DRESS OR A MIDI DRESS?
SHOES AND YOUR MAXI DRESS
As the longline hem is a feature of the maxi dress, the shoes are a focus, so consider the length of the dress and the occasion when deciding which shoes to wear.
- Keep it fresh and feminine with new arrivals like natural slides, boots and heels for wear-anywhere casual comfort and polished looks.
- Elevate your maxi dress to going out status with heels and a matching bag.
- For daytime casual, to make a statement, or to add a streetwear vibe to your casual maxi dress, slip on a pair of sneakers or ankle boots.
SHOES AND YOUR MIDI DRESS
A midi dress can also be worn with flats or heels, depending on the occasion.
- You'll find elevation from a pair of strappy heels will elongate the look of a midi dress, so if you're not super tall, heels with your midi dress will make you look taller.
- The figure-flattering fitted midi dress pares back to casual with shoes such as slides, flat sandals and even sneakers - but be sure to choose shoes that suit both the occasion and the style of the midi dress!